Skip to main content
HomeUseful Information

Useful Information for Seniors

Aging with Dignity – Help with the Conversation:  Five Wishes is changing the way America talks about and plans for care at the end of life. More than 23 million copies of Five Wishes are in circulation across the nation, distributed by more than 40,000 organizations. Five Wishes meets the legal requirements in 42 states and is useful in all 50.

An Income Cap Trust is designed to hold the Medicaid applicant’s pension and Social Security income. A bank account is set up in the name of the Income Cap Trust. Each month, all of the ill person’s income is deposited into the Income Cap Trust account. So long as the trustee of the Income Cap Trust (usually a spouse, partner or adult child) agrees to spend the income in a manner approved by Medicaid, the ill person will not be disqualified from receiving Medicaid assistance, even though his or her income is over the Income Cap. Click here for Trust information in Oregon.

State of Oregon Medicare Help: This is the Oregon state site for information on the Senior Health Insurance Benefits Assistance Program (SHIBA).
Washington County Disability, Aging and Veteran Services is the county’s central clearing house and assistance organization for seniors, veterans and people with disabilities in our county. They offer services, usually at no cost to seniors. The address: 5240 NE Elam Young Parkway #300, Hillsboro, OR 97124
(503) 846-3060

Washington County Legal Assistance for Seniors: Washington County residents ages 60 and over may be able to obtain free legal services from the Oregon Law Center (OLC). OLC provides free civil legal services to low-income people. Through a contract with Washington County Disability, Aging & Veteran Services , OLC is able to provide some services to seniors regardless of income.